cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neildavidson
Level 6

Problems with proxy and running agent on startup

When AgentClass.AppUpdate with the RunType.AppStart parameter and the user is accessing the web via a proxy server then a messagebox pops up asking for a user name and password for the proxy server. People find this quite annoying.

Although I can see this is necessary if checking for updates manually, or after an install, where the end user has actually chosen to do an update, it might be more appropriate not to search for updates if a username / password are going to be required for a proxy server when the update check is meant to be happening silently.

- Neil
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

In general, I completely agree with you. We want an application start-up to be completely silent unless an update is available. We are looking at ways to implement this.

Just to get a little more information on your specific case........Is this customer required to login each time to use the internet? Or, is the login only required once per day? Does this customer store user/id password in the browser settings?

Chris Woerner
0 Kudos
neildavidson
Level 6

Chris,

Thanks for investigating. One customer who is having this problem says:

"
We login each time that we access the internet. User ID / Password are entered each time. There is a timeout period after which the user ID / password must be re-entered. I'm not sure what that period is but it doesn't occur during a normal browsing "session".
"
0 Kudos
syalamarti
Level 3

Hi,

We have similar issues with update over a proxy server.

Currently, the Update Service Agent uses the IE settings when going thru' a proxy.

It would be great if we can specify the proxy information (server addr, userid/pwd etc.) via the Update Service SDK.

Regards
Srini Yalamarti
0 Kudos