cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pshi
Level 2

one-click install update?

Hi there,

We had a Devstudio 9 basic MSI one-click download install. Now I am just trying the Update Service to upgrade my client's app. Some problems stop me go ahead.
I need you help.

Following is what I did:
1. add "agent.AppUpdate("{D5E46BF8-BF05-46C9-AF52-89E224D5D4D9}",RunType.AppStart)" in my app startup

2. open my old IS project, in update service view, register this product. (as version 1.00)

3. increase version and generate a new package code. (as version 1.01)

4. add new/updated files in

5. in ugrades view, add automatic upgrade item, specify the path to the previous install image path
[question: under that folder, one msi file and many compressed cab files, I put that msi file in above path. am I right?]

6. build a new one-click stallat to a new path.

7. add a message in publisher website.
here I select events "manual","scheduled" and "next use" [ I guess "next use" is enough for my need"]
question:
in package type,I don't know which one is supposed to be selected for the Devstudio one-click install.

I selected the first one here.

8. in detail message dialogs, I input the new install URL

9. launch my old app, no notofication pops up.
[but if adding "agent.AppUpdate("{D5E46BF8-BF05-46C9-AF52-89E224D5D4D9}",RunType.AppMenu)" in my app, I got a popup]

Could you correct my work step by step?

Thx
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Paul_M_
Level 6

I can't go through each individual step but I will add some comments. The first thing I would recommend doing is building a setup.exe or an MSI file. This will handle the download and so forth when needed. The One-Click Install may not be the best option if using update service. Also, what version is registered on the machine with update service. You can verify this by using the test utility which is part of the platform SDK. Here is the note about one-click installs: "Important! The 'One-Click Install' option is for InstallShield Professional 6 users only. InstallShield Developer users should package updates using an update.exe or .MSP package."
0 Kudos