cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlogmans
Level 6

new lines in description

How can i insert newlines in the description field (for messages) that DO display in the end-user display? I also want to emphasize words by making them bold.
etc do not seem to work.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
hlogmans
Level 6

nobody knows how to do this? 😞
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

If I understand your questions, you are looking for two types of formatting to use on message descriptions:

1. Carriage returns (line breaks)
2. Bolding

Unfortunately, those are not currently supported. We are looking at several options to improve this.

1. Global settings that allow some control over all messages.
2. Local settings that allow more control over text within a message. We could do this by just supportting and documenting a few HTML tags. Or we could add a HTML formatting control into the website.

Our thoughts on what should be supported:
Fonts - global setting for all messages
Font size - global setting for all messages
Color - local setting for use within a message
Bold - local setting for use within a message
Underline - local setting for use within a message
line return - local setting for use within a message

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have additional controls that you would like to see supported?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

For formatting of messages, your suggestions would be fine.

However, what we really want is some control over the error messages that are displayed by Update Service Agent on the user's computer (or the ability to add further information to those messages). For example, one message says:

"Currently another session of the Update Service is running on your machine"

Our users get this after loading our app if they go right to the menu option to check for the latest release. This happens because the AppUpdate (AppStartup) has not yet completed. However, because of the wording of the message, our beta sites report it as a bug, and it will generate support calls. We want to revise the message to say: "The Update Service is currently busy. Please try again in a few minutes." This would prevent support calls.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

That makes perfect sense. The last thing that I want to do is to generate support calls for you. The idea was to reduce them 🙂

I like your idea - allowing you to control the error messages. Thanks for the idea. We will look to implement that.
0 Kudos
hlogmans
Level 6

Bold, bullets etc were my thoughts. Just some simple markers. I don't want to create full html pages.

Any idea when those things can be done?
0 Kudos