cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sorenhes
Level 4

What happens to inactive clients

Hello,

I've been montoring the usage of the update service by our users and I've noticed that our user base has been going up steadily, which is a good thing.

I was wondering if there is a clean-up that is done with registered clients that haven't connected in a while ?

What if a user installs our software which in turn registers his computer on the service but then uninstalls our software. Does his computer stay registered for all of time or is there a clean-up done after a while ?

What if a user installs our software and for some reason has to uninstall it and then reinstall it. Is the second install counted as a new user ?

I've searched to ISUS help file and this forum and have'nt found any answer to these questions.

Can anybody give me some insight to this problem.

Regards,

Robert
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

The short answers are:
1. No there is no cleanup that happens within our end because we truly don't know that they've removed your software forever or whether they're going to install a new version, or any of a number of other scenarios. The user count seen in the gauge on the publisher site is driven by your license. When your license is renewed, it is zeroed out and only users checking for updates after that new license is in effect will be counted. Older users who do not check for updates will not be reflected on the new license.
2. Just uninstalling & reinstalling your software will not generate a different user id. However, reformatting the machine & re-installing Windows I believe would cause a new user because the internal windows MID would be different.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

However, reformatting the machine & re-installing Windows I believe would cause a new user because the internal windows MID would be different.

Regards,
Kelly

Heh, I would hope that reformatting the hard drive would remove an InstallShield ID. 🙂
0 Kudos