Brad_Peterson
Level 7

File Syncronization

In the Update Service 5.0 email I just received, I noticed this:

-File Synchronization-Updates can now be delivered by
synchronizing a local directory from a centralized
location. This allows developers to easily push out
updates without developing installers.

Can anyone explain this more? In my head, it sounds like it would work like this:

1) The user has a certain installed file structure in say, c:\program files\myApp\
2) We duplicate that same file structure on our server in say, c:\update service\myApp\
3) The files are synced. So, if we add the file myApp.dll version 1.1 to our server's c:\update service\myApp\ folder, then the client computer will download this .dll as well?

If so, this is a really, really nice feature. It would make publishing updates so much faster.
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

Ok, since that mail has gone out I can actually discuss the release. 😉 As always, the client isn't my strongpoint, so verify things with the release documentation once it's placed out there. In fact, as this is the holiday season, you may not receive true details until the docs are out there.

It involves primarily file synchronization similar to what you describe. I believe you'll still need to create the "update" in the publisher so that the agent knows that there are files to update.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos