cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariadesouza
Level 3

Web Software Manager error - "agent failed to install.."

Our server is FLEXnet 6.1 and the installer installs FLEXnet Connect 11 on client side

Our application calls ShowNotifications.

My xp machine gives a script error while on the vista machine, The "software manager" pops up with a message box stating "The Agent has failed to install properly. in order for the Agent to properly install, you must be an administrator on your computer and you must be using your browsers default security settings."

What is causing this error ?

I am able to download messages and display within our software using IUSAgent6

This used to work earlier when we used FlexNET 6 on client side also
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ugar_k
Level 4

Hi Maria,

Regarding: "Our server is FLEXnet 6.1 and the installer installs FLEXnet Connect 11 on client side"

From my understanding (I asked support about compatibility before), an older version server will not recognize a newer version agent, but a newer version server will recognize an older version agent. FLEXnet should be invoking the proper version agent based on your call/COM instance of the agent, if you register the agent on your FLEXnet server as a product, you can see what version is contacting your server.

Also, ShowNotifications returns an error code. You can try seeing if it does return an error, and then decode the error based on the User Guide (see ShowNotification description in the User Guide API Reference section).

My guess is that you're trying to use the newer agent and software manager with the older server. If you have a test server, I recommend upgrading that to FLEXnet 11 and testing to see if you still get the errors.

Based on "the installer installs FLEXnet Connect 11", if this is happening out of your control (i.e. you're using the latest InstallShield and are selecting the option for using FLEXnet), I recommend not selecting the option for FLEXnet and adding it to your installation via the Merge Module(s). I believe Acresso is trying to move/phase everyone to this method anyways, as it is the "proper" way to do things.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

There is an issue related to older servers communicating with products registered with newer agents that cause unexpected errors.

The best resolution for this issue is to upgrade your server to FLEXnet Connect 11.50 or later, which has a number of improvements and new features in addition to mitigating this issue.

If that is not an option for you or you would like an immediate resolution to this issue, I have attached a series of files that you can install on your server to mitigate this issue.

We're in the process of authoring a KB article that will also include more information as well as the same files. You can place these in your server install path by searching for the Campaign.vbs file on your server under the FNC install path. The other two files in the zip should be in the same location.

You may want to make a backup of those files just in case.
0 Kudos
mariadesouza
Level 3

Thanks for your prompt replies. We will try the files Bryan sent and see if it resolves the issues or rollback to 6.1 agent. We are not in a position to upgrade our server right now.
0 Kudos