cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

UpdateAgent.EnumUpdates() locks my app for 5-10 seconds

Well, I was very excitied with the possibilities of UpdateAgent.EnumUpdates() giving me tons of updatable information that I could manually process and download myself. Unfortunately, I've hit a major snag that's holding me up.

My Visual Basic app hangs for 15 seconds while UpdateAgent.EnumUpdates() is being run. It seems the more update conditions that could apply to it, the slower it goes. When there was only 1 update, it took about 2-3 seconds. At the moment, there are 4 possible updates can apply to this app. And because of the nature of Visual Basic, it seems any call to an early bound dependency object causes the main thread to lock up until it's finished.

So, it seems I have no way of cleanly and silently checking for updates in the background without a huge and long hang in my app.

My question is this...is this normal? Our customers are still running on the Update Service v3.0 files. Has this hanging problem been fixed in later releases? Or do I have to accept that if I try to send out more than a couple updates to an app, that I have to accept the baggage of the app hanging for a long time?
0 Kudos
(21) Replies
Marcel_NL
Level 5

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help.
I understand your concerns regarding the old agents etc.

I'm not sure using client callout DLL's would help. If an update has already been installed (indicated by the existance of a certain registry key or local file), we don't want it to appear again in the list of updates to prevent it from being downloaded again.

Regards,
Marcel
0 Kudos