cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miiitch
Level 2

Update service tries to launch install again and again on a non-admin account

I have a strange issue: each time I log on a non-admin account the agent tries to launch my install. This does not happen on admin account.
How is it possible to stop this?

Mitch

The first line of the debug log:
=== Verbose logging started: 13/09/2004 11:32:17 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.1106 Calling process: C:\PROGRA~1\FICHIE~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\agent.exe ===
MSI (c) (04:0C): Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (04:0C): Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (04:0C): ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: {B3B6029F-4752-4F21-975D-7936B36FBE10}
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (04:0C): Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI (c) (04:0C): Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (04:0C): Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (04:0C): Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
*** Log Line Missing ***
=== Début de l'écriture dans le journal : 13/09/2004 11:32:17 ===
Début de l'action 11:32:17 : INSTALL.
Début de l'action 11:32:17 : DLLWrapStartup.
Fin de l'action 11:32:17 : DLLWrapStartup. Valeur renvoyée : 1.
Début de l'action 11:32:17 : AppSearch.
Action 11:32:17 : AppSearch. Recherche des applications déjà installées
AppSearch: Propriété : IE4FOUND ; signature : sigShdocvw
AppSearch: Propriété : XPFOUND ; signature : sigKernel32
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I have a very similar problem to you, when signing on as a different user the windows installer tried to install a missing resource. After some investigation I determined that the original product installation was writing some update service related entries to the HKCU hive in the registry. These were not visible after I logged off and signed on again as a different user, causing the windows installer to detect a missing resource and kick off the install again. I included the Update Service in original install by selecting the Update Service Merge Module provided by InstallShield. I do not know why including this Merge Module causes entries to be made to the HKCU hive :rolleyes:

A temporary for my problem was to log on as admin, export the missing registry entries (under HKCU\\Software\InstallShield\Update Service) to a .reg file. Log back on as the other user and merge the .reg file back into the registry (by double-clicking on it).

I'm still trying to find a better solution going forward. :confused:
0 Kudos
DarthYoda
Level 2

I worked with InstallShield on this same issue. Since UpdateService (v3.1) support is installed with your application, the missing registry key (when changing users) causes Windows Installer to try "Self-Repairing". If you look at the Application log (via the event viewer), you will see several references to HKCU\Software\InstallShield\UpdateService. The tech customized a new merge module for us and it works like a champ.
0 Kudos