cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtnprogram
Level 3

Turn Off Automatic Update Checking Through Code

Does anyone have any code snippets in c++ or a script in installshield that turns off Automatic Update checking but still leaves the product 'update service enabled' so I can check for updates through the APIs. What I'm looking for is way to turn off Automatic Update Checking through code.

My users aren't going to like to see the small balloon window that pops up above the system tray saying that Update Service needs to check for updates. By the way, why does this show anything to the user if there are no updates available? Anyway, if anyone knows how to programmatically disable the automatic update checking but still be able to check manually through the APIs I'd appreciate a reply.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Is this Update Manager that you're talking about? It sounds like it, such as having updates pop up in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.

If so, then it sounds like you don't even want Update Manager at all. If so, a long term fix is to not include Update Manager in the install. There are some ways you can do this. If you use ISUS 3.1, InstallShield made a merge module without the Update Manager. I use that.

If you use ISUS 4 or 4.1, the merge module has an option in it to not distribute Update Manager. You would have to go into your installer, and see if you can't double click on that merge module or something to get to the options for that merge module.

As for using API methods to turn off messages from Update Manager, I don't know how to do that, or if it's even possible.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

This will be possible in 4.5. You will be able to tell Update Manager not to check for your app.
0 Kudos
jtnprogram
Level 3

Thanks Brad, you've been very helpful. I now have an exe that will just install update service, (no Update Manager). However, I'm unsure how to register a product using this. Do I have to do it manually with the agent -r command. Or do I still leave update service enabled in my installshield script? I'm using IS 7 Pro.
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

How to register a product?

I've never done that with the API. I think you can, and I probably should do it, it'd make my life easier.

I do all my registering of products, versions, and updates through the web page http://services.installshield.com/doLogin.do
0 Kudos