cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimStVCS
Level 7

Set Notification Schedule

Hello, I developed my own Windows Application to display and process available update notifications and messages. I have exclusively used calls to the USAgent API and have not used the Software Manager.

I have included a menu option to allow the end user to set the schedule for an automatic check for notifications using the SetIntervalLapse method of the USAgent. This is all working well. My question is, given this scenario how will the automatic check for notifications occur? Does my Windows Application need to be launched in order for this to happen? I really don't want that to be the case and was wondering if there was a way for the application to be launched automatically when the interval set by the end-user has lapsed.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Not applicable

The automatic update functionality is designed for use with the Common Software Manager portion of the product. If you have designed your application to run without being integrated with that piece of FNC then you will not have the automatic update behavior that you desire. However, the behavior of the automatic update notification piece is that it will poll for updates on the interval selected in the product.ini file and will display a popup ( called a "Toaster" ) as a miniature webpage in the notification area of the Taskbar. I don't have a screenshot handy, but it doesn't sound like this is completely what you want either.

If you're looking for different behavior then the best bet would be to invoke agent through some kind of service or something to that effect. You could then check for updates from that context and launch your application if needed.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Bryan. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I understand. Sure has not been a simple thing to implement so far, but I guess we took the complicated route didn't we 🙂

Tim
0 Kudos
lacscramul
Level 2

TimStVCS wrote:
Thanks for the reply Bryan. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I understand. Sure has not been a simple thing to implement so far, but I guess we took the complicated route didn't we 🙂

Tim

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

TimStVCS wrote:

Tim

I think the last time this was looked at there was a consensus that the best we could do was make sure that the agent could be invoked from a service. I agree it's not the greatest solution and it's something at which we could definitely look. This might be one of those things that are a bit challenging to implement in a way that's both functional and still not treading in to what our customers' customers could perceive as spyware.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

lacscramul, are you an Acresso employee? I wouldn't mind corresponding with you if you are and are interested in my experience with implementing FNC? Just let me know. I promise to be nice!
0 Kudos