cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgooderham
Level 4

Server info not written to <GUID>.ini file

I'm evaluating the self hosted ISUS 2.1 and found that the sample app works as expected. However when adding my own application and attempting to check for updates, it fails with an Error 13001 - Product not registered...

I found that the server= line is not being written to the following ini file:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database\{my product GUID}.ini

I'm using the following code in a .vbs file to check for updates:
Set pAgent = CreateObject( "DWUpdateService.Agent" )
szProductGUID = ""

'check for updates
if pAgent.IsConnectedEx(szProductGUID) then
pAgent.AppUpdate szProductGUID, AppMenu
end if
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Hi Tylee,

Did you alter your install to set the server value? I put the steps below for Professional. For other authoring tools (Express/ Developer), see the Update Service online help topic: "Direct the Runtime to My On-Site Notification Server"

-----------------

Version 7 Service Pack 1 and Later
In your setup script, call the UpdateServiceSetHost function. For details, see the InstallShield Professional Help Library.

Version 7 (No Service Pack)
In your setup script, use code like the following after file transfer:
LaunchAppAndWait( COMMONFILES ^ "InstallShield\\UpdateService\\Agent.exe", "-sh -s", LAAW_OPTION_WAIT );

Version 6.x
Set the Update Service object's Host property to the URL of your local Notification Server. An example of the Host property is shown below:
begin
set oObject = GetObject( "New InstallShield Update Service 1" );
oObject.ProductCode = PRODUCT_GUID;
oObject.ProductVersion = "1.2";
oObject.ScheduleInterval = 30;
oObject.Host = "http://updates.yourcompany.com/"
end;
0 Kudos
tgooderham
Level 4

Are you saying that each setup package must contain the server url info in it?

The problem here for me is that my customers will be hosting their own servers, but I will be providing them a common setup package. So I can't include the server url in the code.

Can I include the server information in the .vbs file that checks for updates?
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

There are two ways you can solve that problem.

1. During the installation you can prompt for the server URL. That is what we do with the sample program.

2. You can use SetHost() API to set the server from your application or from a VBScript.

SetHost () takes ProductCode and host as parameter. Query for IAgentEx to see SetHost().
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

fyi... you won't find SetHost() in the Update Service online help. That was just an omission on our part. It will be corrected in the next release.
0 Kudos