cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NealC804
Level 8

Problems with 4.5?

Two issues noted in experimenting today:

1) In the web manager I went to Products...Manage Product Groups. I created two groups adding programs to the groups. I then went to reports to create a new report and clicked the tab to select a program group to report on, NO report groups were listed.

2) When installing the ISUS 4.5 SDK on my local machine, it caused the Corel Graphics 12 Updater to try and update itself then it showed an error and rolled back. I then rebooted per the SDK update finish dialog. No problems noted thus far, experimenting now.

P.S. I read in the release notes where we can create our own program managers now. I assume since this is an option there would be sample code in the Update Service folder. Sadly, there were not. Typically when there is a programmatic interface, the vendor provides samples. I'll check the docs, but hands on code is always nice such as VB6 and .NET projects.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
torosaur
Level 3

To answer your first question:

1) In the web manager I went to Products...Manage Product Groups. I created two groups adding programs to the groups. I then went to reports to create a new report and clicked the tab to select a program group to report on, NO report groups were listed.

In the reports tab you'll notice that the third link under actions allows you to create and manage a new entity called "report groups". These groups - while similar to product groups - are unique to reporting and are not shared with product grouping. The reasoning is that they have a different function than product groups, allowing greater flexibility in choosing the make-up of a group (for instance allowing one to create a group with only specific versions from multiple products - something not possible with product groups).
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

What is the purpose of product groups then? You'd think i could report on product groups....???
0 Kudos
torosaur
Level 3

The product groups serve two main purposes:

1. Allow larger companies with multiple products to segment the product population. This allows administrators to restrict viewing/editing of products to the product managers that control them.

2. For n-tier configurations the segmenting allows the ISV to push only the needed products and respective updates/messages to the client tier.
0 Kudos
RobCoon
Level 3

In response to your comment on the Update Manager, there is no coding necessary to customize it. The entire process is driven by an INI file specified by the -custom commandline parameter. More information can be found in the help topic "Customizing the Update Manager"

Rob
0 Kudos