cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmalk1
Level 4

Preventing distribution of Update Manager

The ISUS 4.1 merge module included in my InstallShield Express setup package doesn't give me the option of excluding the Update Manager. I'm going to be doing a first distribution in a couple weeks and would rather Update Manager be completely out of the equation. It's been awhile since the last post on this topic -- have any new work-arounds developed? Will ISUS 4.5 include this option? Would working with the ISUS 3 merge module (that excludes UM) make sense in this situation or would I be getting myself into a heap of other troubles?

Damon
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Starting with ISUS 4.0, the ISUS merge module will install the Update Manager if the DWUSMANAGER property is set to 1.

In InstallShield X or above, one can go to the Update Service view in the Installation Designer and set the 'Include Update Manager' property to No. InstallShield will set the DWUSMANAGER property accordingly.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
dmalk1
Level 4

Noel,
Thanks for the response and details about DWUSMANAGER. I should have clarified that I'm using InstallShield Express 4. I unfortunately do not see an 'Include Update Manager' property anywhere.

I however just got done talking with a support rep who told me the Update Manager should not be installed by default with the ISUS 4.1 merge module. After reviewing my test machine, it turns out I had the SDK installed on it as well which explains why the Update Manager kept appearing. 'doh! Once again, a mistake on my part.

I have to commend this community and Macrovision InstallShield support on their promptness. I feel very confident moving forward with this product and service!

Thanks,
Damon
0 Kudos