cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Isconnected problem? Program hangs...

I'm using the IsConnected method to check for an internet connection prior to an AppUpdate. These functions are called at program start to automatically check for the presence of an update.

There appears to be a delay in returning from the IsConnected function if there's no internet connection, because when the user clicks within the program, they can receive an 'Application Busy - Switch To, Retry' message, and are unable to use the application for a short period of time.

It's a VB application and I'm calling these functions after the main screen shows... at the end of the Form_Load event for the main form.

Would my problem be solved if I called these functions prior to showing the main form? Where do most people call these functions when they are used at start up. And has anyone had this same problem? How specifically was it solved?

Thanks - Chris
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

If you are using AppUpdate, you don't need to call IsConnected(). AppUpdate will call IsConnected internally.

AppUpdate will immediately return to your application.

IsConnected is a sync call. It doesn't return until it has an answer. If the user isn't connected, IsConnected has a two second timeout.
0 Kudos