cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katsnelson
Level 5

Instructions for adding Update Serice to an application

Is there a set of instructions some place that details what ISUS 4.5 files need to be redistributed as part of the application to enable the application for the Update Service. I am also looking for instructions on what needs to be done on hte target system (register DLLs etc.) as part of enabling an app for the Update Service.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Well, since no one has replied, I'll quickly help out with what I can.

For the instructions, your best bet is to find sample code within the documentation and slowly test that out. For me, I had to do a lot of reading and a lot of testing before I got it to work.

As for what you need to distribute, there is a merge module that handles the installation of the end users machine. If you installed the update service sdk, that merge module should show up in your list of available modules to choose from. Note that you can edit options for that merge module and distribute a light or a full version of Update Service.

Hope that helps. I'd go into detail, but I'm very busy at the moment 😞
0 Kudos
RobCoon
Level 3

Hello,

The merge module is the recommended way of distributing the update service agent files.

If you were looking for a way to integrate the update service in your application without doing any coding, version 4.5 of the SDK includes the Integration Wizard, which can be used to update-enable your application without modifying your source code.

Note that the Integration Wizard also includes an option to include the agent with your application. This is useful for testing and demonstration purposes, but for an actual release I would still recommend using the merge module to distribute the agent.
0 Kudos
katsnelson
Level 5

I am aware of hte merge modules but what I was really lookgn for is a list of files that need to be redistributed and, hopefully, an explanation of what each file does.
0 Kudos
katsnelson
Level 5

I guess I need ot explain why I am asking. I've asked our install writers to update the the ISUS code from v3.0 that we were using since Septemebr of last year to V4.5. They did and I can see that UpdateServiceAgent.exe that is laid down on disk is at v4.5. However, when I do "Check for Updates" the way our end-user would I get a dialog with no text on it. When I right mouse cloick on the window title and select "About". It tells me that this is Update Service V3.0.
I want to understand why the text is not displayed and why is it still reporting V3.0 when we are shipping v4.5 agent. Where does the text fro this dialog come from? Does it get integrated when our install developers include ISUS redistributable code or does it come from the ISUS website?
0 Kudos
RobCoon
Level 3

Ok. I have a better understanding now.

If the text is missing from the dialogs, the first thing to check is that the file _isusres.dll is installed. This is the resource dll that contains all the strings that the agent uses. Other than that, the easiest thing for you to do would probably be to install the Update Service SDK on a system, and then compare the contents of COMMONFILES\InstallShield\UpdateService with the files installed by your setup.

As for the About box, that seems to be a bug. I have verified that the 4.5 Agent still includes the About box that lists 3.0 as the version number. For reference, as you try to see what version you are running, this same dialog did have the copyright updated to list Macrovision, 2001-2004. I have created a work order to have the About dialog updated in all future releases, and I apologize for the confusion it has caused you.
0 Kudos