cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcbird
Level 3

Information Message that is not an Update

Hi, Is it possible to have an Information Message that is not an update? What I am thinking of is that when a user checks for updates, and there is one, the user can also see Information Messages that are not attached to any products or versions.

In my case, it would be a message that explains some aspects and policies about how my company is using ISUS to deliver updates. This message by itself is not worth users seeing if there are no product updates available. I'd place it in a category that shows up first before the category containing the most recent update.

Regards,
Ray
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

There are two things you can do:

If you want the easy method, use AppUpdate and set the scheduled interval to 90 days (or more). When you have an update mark it for "next use". Doing this, software updates will appear to your customer immediately. Of course, informational messages will apear to users when the software update is displayed. If only an informational message is available, it will appear every 90 days. The only downside to this approach is that all users will see software updates immediately. This may stress your payload server.

Another alternative (more difficult, but more flexible) is to use a series of APIs to enumerate the available updates. By looking at each updates, you can tell if it is a software update or informational message. You can then only choose to display the UI if a software update is found:

isconnected()
enumupdates()
for each update
look at issoftwareupdate property
if yes, displaymessages()
0 Kudos