cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Inactive updates still occasionally appearing as active

An hour ago, I set an update from active to inactive. However, it is still always appearing as active.

I've done a packet sniffer check, and updates.installshield.com is definitely sending down the update that Update Service's web page is reporting as inactive.

Is this a fluke bug, or a new problem similar to the inactive update bug many of us had to deal with a while ago?
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

As a side note, there are two other related bugs preventing me from using an alternate solution.

I still cannot delete an update from a web page. I can only set it to inactive.

If I check the update and select the inactive button to the right, a Javascript window asks if I want to delete the update. Of course, that's a lie, it doesn't really delete it, it just sets it to inactive. As discussed here before, these are old, well known bugs that no developer has bothered to fix.
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

Good news, the inactive update is no longer showing up as active.

Since it could be very damagint to our product to have inactive updates delivered to our customers, I'll have to make a general rule for us to allow for a 2 hour delay for "inactive" settings to take effect. I know most of the time setting it to "inactive" immediately works, but past experience has shown that some "inactives" do not immediately work.
0 Kudos
NealC804
Level 8

The only way, unfortunately, to "pull" the plug on an update is not to rely on ISUS as there is a latency, which no one has defined for us, so the answer is to rename the update file on your server so it won't be found.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Brad & Neal,

You're not the only ones who were under the impression that it was fixed and it should be... if you have not already done so, please report the issue to our support staff so they can track progress on it & have it recognized within their processes (you'll need to do this Tuesday as I believe they're in the middle of a migration to the corporate system now).

One important thing: when speaking with support, let them know what screens you're using to inactivate. The runtime path from Product/Message is ever so slightly different from Message/Message, but that nugget may help them diagnose.

As for the latency, the runtime characteristics should result in a 1 minute latency while publisher queues up requests to prevent duplication. On the notification server side, I'm a bit less sure, but I believe that it should immediately attempt a flush. What you're describing is definitely outside the expected behaviour.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Brad_Peterson
Level 7

KellyF wrote:
Brad & Neal,

You're not the only ones who were under the impression that it was fixed and it should be... if you have not already done so, please report the issue to our support staff so they can track progress on it & have it recognized within their processes (you'll need to do this Tuesday as I believe they're in the middle of a migration to the corporate system now).

One important thing: when speaking with support, let them know what screens you're using to inactivate. The runtime path from Product/Message is ever so slightly different from Message/Message, but that nugget may help them diagnose.

As for the latency, the runtime characteristics should result in a 1 minute latency while publisher queues up requests to prevent duplication. On the notification server side, I'm a bit less sure, but I believe that it should immediately attempt a flush. What you're describing is definitely outside the expected behaviour.

Regards,
Kelly

Sorry for the frustration KellyF, it just seems like whenever I try to do something simple with Update Service, I run into a bug. As always, we appreciate your help here in the forums.

If I notice it again, I'll file a very detailed MySupport bug request.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Frustration is natural so long as we can keep it civil... at times I'm frustrated by the posts here so I simply stop visiting for a while. Besides, I get frustrated when I hear that some needs are not being met... believe it or not, we enjoy making a product that can solve needs that other developers may have. That's why we've had such an aggressive release schedule and will probably continue it for quite some time. We're constantly rolling in features requested and bug fixes while continuing down the path set by the product manager.

BTW, I believe that MySupport has officially now been cut off, so you'll be using the new system they have. (not sure what it is like as I've not used it...) I always encourage persons to submit those requests because this environment is outside the realm of the support folks.

We're a relatively small community (users, plus the occasional developer & support person), so this is a decent mechanism for communication about what is liked, not liked, frustrating, or just plain stupid. Just remember that this is not "official" in the eyes of some management and there is no process in place internally to track issues reported here against any product builds, etc.

KellyF

Brad Peterson wrote:
Sorry for the frustration KellyF, it just seems like whenever I try to do something simple with Update Service, I run into a bug. As always, we appreciate your help here in the forums.

If I notice it again, I'll file a very detailed MySupport bug request.
0 Kudos