cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cterpm
Level 3

I just don't get it

Normally I figure out software easily. But I just don't understand the update service. If I want to target just system admins, what am I supposed to do? Why aren't there some easy to follow examples anywhere? Why does it say "Click on any [question mark] icon to get help on that field," but nothing happens when you click? Why does the help file require that you click on 12 links to put together one answer?

Frustrated,
ctm

So many wizards, so few results.
0 Kudos
(26) Replies
Arman_Legend
Level 3

With the starter edition service is calling the agenet.exe and passing the ProductID all you could do?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Actually, with the starter edition, the agent & APIs are not available. Starter editions use the Update Manager to check for updates.

Regards,
Kelly

Arman_Legend wrote:
With the starter edition service is calling the agenet.exe and passing the ProductID all you could do?
0 Kudos
Arman_Legend
Level 3

Where can I see an example of the update manager? Is it what's being shipped with the merge-module, or for the starter edition you don't need the merge-module? Basically how is update manager shipped with the software?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

If I'm not mistaken, there's a version of the merge module without the update manager. However, you'll want/need the merge module with it.

The update manager is a self-standing application and isn't something that you can call / program.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
Arman_Legend
Level 3

I thought you mentioned that Update Manager is the only thing you can use with the starter editon. So if it's a standalone application as you say and you can't do anything with it, how could one ship it with their software? Where is this merge-module published?
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

The Update Manger is a stand-alone app in that it is separate from your application. It checks for updates on behalf of your application. It is included in the merge module. A description of how to add the merge module to your setup can be found at: http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q107641

Arman_Legend wrote:
I thought you mentioned that Update Manager is the only thing you can use with the starter editon. So if it's a standalone application as you say and you can't do anything with it, how could one ship it with their software? Where is this merge-module published?
0 Kudos