cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troyamiller
Level 2

Feature transfer error - update service

Hello-- I've recently sent out my first round of apps using Devstudio 9... and also the new v2.2 of the Update Service.

My software (tax programs) is released as a completely new program annually -- not as an upgrade or update to an existing install. Last year's program (distributed as an Installscript MSI package using Developer 8 last year) included the then current version of the Update Service. This year's program (distributed as an Installscript project using Devstudio 9) includes the new version.

I have a customer who, when he attempts the install, gets an error. The error occurs when the Update Service package attempts to install. The error is titled "Feature transfer error" - and the feature is my 'update service' feature. The error says "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

My customer is running Windows 2000 and has administrator rights. The setup seems to run fine in his office on machines that hadn't ever had the Update Service loaded on them, but errors on ones that have. I've been unable to duplicate the error here (nor have I heard from any other customers that they've had this problem).

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Chandima
Level 7

This sounds like a very strange problem. The problem is with the Update Service install and not with Update Service functionality itself. The fact that it happens only on this user's machine means it's a machine specific issue.

Ask the user to reboot the machine and then re-try the setup. Maybe one of the Update Service files are locked when the upgrade is trying to overwrite a file.

If the reboot doesn't work we could try upgrading the Update Service on his machine separately and then running your setup (this way the setup SHOULD ignore trying to update the Update Service files because they are the same version). For this all you have to do is:
1. Create a new Basic Msi project.
2. Go to the Redistributables View.
3. Select the "InstallShield Update Service" merge module.
4. Build and send the customer this build.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos