cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zetron
Level 4

Download package only

If I set the agent to check for update and download silently, it will launch the installer after the download completes. Is there any way to tell the agent just to download the file but not launching it? Thanks.
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Mark_at_IS
Level 3

The Update Service does not currently support this option, although we are certainly willing to consider it. Under what circumstances do you plan to use this option? How will the end user know that the update has been downloaded so that he or she can run it?
0 Kudos
zetron
Level 4

The user may want the agent to perform an update check periodically, download the setup package and run the upgrade at a later time. This is critical as it may take hours to download the file if the package is big and the user does not have broadband connection to the Internet, or when the user wants to patch or upgrade the system during the non-peak hours but have the setup files ready when he/she begins the update.

I am planning to write a customized agent which makes use of AutoUpdate method call to retrieve the file. It would be best if the Update Service agent supports a download only option, and
a) displays a message box stating that the download is completed with the location of downloaded package (for agent using in UI mode)
b) returns the status code and location of the package if using the AutoUpdate method
0 Kudos
Mark_at_IS
Level 3

Thanks for your feedback, Edmond. I'll pass your suggestion along to the program manager.
0 Kudos
syalamarti
Level 3

This is exactly the thing we are also looking for.
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

This functionality was released as part of version 2.0.

If you have the latest SDK, we now provide several new methods. To do a download only, you will need to use the methods below. There is sample that used downloadandexecute() instead of just download, but the concept is the same.

> enumupdates - to get a list of available updates
> download - to download the file
> queryvalue - to get the location of the downloaded file

You can get the latest SDK and runtime from the home page of the Publisher website. A link is provided in the Developer section of the home page.
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

I can atest to Chris' claims...I have gotten pretty much this exact scenario working on a test application - custom-built window to retrieve details about display available updates, controlled downloading without the user having the ability to install once its downloaded (unless I want him to), and storage of the downloaded patch in a safe place for running later on....
0 Kudos
syalamarti
Level 3

Hi Chris

You wrote:

"queryvalue - to get the location of the downloaded file"

I am referring to the 2.0 SDK and it has a 'Update Property'

"DownloadURL 1 URL identifying the location of the Update download"

Question: Is this giving the location of the update package on the server or is it giving the location of the downloaded package on the client machine - the client machine being where the Update Agent is running.

I appreciate your help reg. this

Thank you

Srini
0 Kudos
hanther
Level 5

Srini,

the downloadurl (1) contains the url you would have entered when creating a message for your product on the update service site. Use LocalFileName (12) to get the location of the file on your local computer after it has been downloaded by the update service. This appears to be an undocumented parameter for the queryvalue method, but it does work...

Regards,
Cory
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Yes, we need this functionality as well. I understand the value of all the calls causing automated functionality but our situation requires more control. I need to be able to download a package, save it to a designated directory and then programmatically run it when I wish. Our application is often multiple client front ends distributed on a network and sharing a common database. If an update to the system requires changes to this data location the execution of this update on one client breaks the other machines ability to use the database until they are updated as well. Many of our end users have at least one machine connected to the internet and other machines acting as clients that are not connected. The ideal situation for me is to have any connected machine download and deposit an update to the shared data location. Then have each client check for these pre-downloaded packages and run locally. Network propagation of my updates via one download.
0 Kudos