cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Data type mismatch when downloading update

At least two of my users and I are receiving runtime data type mismatch errors on line 90 when trying to download an update. I have several software update messages in place, and we're getting it on all of them. This has been going on since last week.

I'm running Windows XP with IE 6.0, SP1.

One of the users is running Windows 98 with the same IE version. I don't know what the other user is running.

Some of the affected messages have not been changed for several weeks; others have been updated in the past couple of days.
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Which ISUS apis are you using?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you mean.

The Update Service is being called with the following code:

RetVal = Shell("C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\Agent.exe -au{60F01433-A02F-48B6-9B66-32C660931E47}-AppMenu", vbNormalFocus)

This code hasn't been changed for several months and was working fine until just recently.

The version of agent.exe is dated 4/9/2003 at 6:08 p.m.

FYI, when I opened a debugging session for the runtime error, the debugger took me to the following line of code:

DM.Download(unescape(dispname), unescape(url), top.window.document.title + " - Microsoft Internet Explorer", cmdline);
0 Kudos
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

That is the information we need. We are testing now. Hopefully, we'll have an answer today for you. Sorry about the problem.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Just for grins, while I was in the debugger, I went ahead and got the values for the variables required when the download function (function downloadnow) in which the error occurs is called. They were as follows:

?dispname
"eFAACT - TimeCard WEB 2.3.2"
?url
"http://www.efaact.com/efaact/Updates/TimeCardWeb.exe"
?pc
"{60F01433-A02F-48B6-9B66-32C660931E47}"
?msgid
"5345"
?cmdline
""

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is the missing command line.

I want my users to download and NOT run anything right away.

The message update function on the Update Service is not requiring me to enter a command.
0 Kudos
Christine_at_IS
Level 3

Thank you for the additional information. It was helpful.

I tested the following scenario:
Windows 2K with IE 6.01
with Agent.exe dated 4/9/03 (our version 2.0)

I called the following from Run:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\Agent.exe -au{60F01433-A02F-48B6-9B66-32C660931E47} -AppMenu

This brought up the Web UI for eFAACT 2.3. I chose the "eFAACT - TimeCard WEB 2.3.2" update and clicked the Get Updates button. Then, chose the Download button. Then, I was prompted to Save the file on my local machine. I clicked the Save button and saw the Download Progress. When the Download completed, I received a Complete dialog with a checkbox to launch the update. When, I selected the checkbox and clicked Finish, I got a release info msg from TimeCard Web Updates.

A few questions to help us narrow down the issue:
* At what point do you see this error? I assume it is in the web page itself? If so, which page does it occur on or do you click a button and then get the error?
* You mentioned a cmdline below. Are you trying to use a command line? Do you expect one to be passed to your app? Or, were you just noting that the value was blank while debugging?

Thank you for the additional information.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

As you said, I do not want or need a command line; I was simply noting that the command line was blank in case you find that helpful.

Here's what happens:

I click on the button to access the Update Service from within my application.
The Update Service window appears, and I click to Check for Updates for my application.
I click Show Updates
I select an update and click Get Update.
I have an option to install andone to download. I click download.
The error appears, and the page changes to one that says "Your update is being downloaded".

I don't get as far as a Save option or any option to specify a target location on my PC.
0 Kudos
Christine_at_IS
Level 3

We discovered the issue and posted a fix to our server.

Please let us know if this has resolved the error that you and your customers were seeing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I just ran it successfully.

I'll have my users try tomorrow.

Thanks for the QUICK response!
0 Kudos