cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcbird
Level 3

Cookie Privacy Statement possibly misleading

In the ISUS Privacy Statement, in the paragraph on "Use of Cookies", there is the following statement:

"Even if you reject cookies, all functions of the Web site will remain available to you."

If I disable cookies or set IE to prompt me about cookies, then the agent is unable to find updates. It posts the InstallShield Wizard searching-for-updates window, then eventually times out with the statement "Either you are not connected to the internet for the Update Server servers are currently unavailable."

I am concerned the privacy statement may possibly mislead users into resetting their privacy policy to a higher level and thereby create situations where they can no longer check for updates. This problem is then compounded by the error information - it does not suggest that the user's security/privacy settings could be the problem.

Our own installation guide will be telling our customers that if they want to check for updates, they must have session cookies enabled or a default privacy policy of "High" or lower.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Chris_Woerner
Level 10

Our privacy statement should be accurate. We did test clients with all cookies disabled. We did not the issues you described.

---------
If I disable cookies or set IE to prompt me about cookies, then the agent is unable to find updates. It posts the InstallShield Wizard searching-for-updates window, then eventually times out with the statement "Either you are not connected to the internet for the Update Server servers are currently unavailable."
------------

Can you tell us which OS and version of IE you used for your testing?
0 Kudos
rcbird
Level 3

My mistake. I found today that if I have all of my update messages marked as "Test" rather than "Active", and I have my IE Privacy set to "Block All Cookies", the update agent will report there are no updates available.

If I make one or more of the messages "Active", then the agent will open an IE browser and I can get the "Active" update messages.

And I cannot today reproduce the problem where the agent told me I was not connected to the network. Instead, the behaviour has been consistently as described above. (Whereas on Tuesday I was consistently getting the other behaviour. I've had to change the IE settings and other things various times on Wednesday, so somehow I've lost track of my original configuration.)

I tried this with Windows 2000 SP 2 with IE 6.0.2800.1106 (SP1) and with Windows 2000 SP 4 with IE 6.0.2800.1106 (SP1).

So, no problem with the Privacy statement. Sorry for the false alarm.

Ray
0 Kudos