cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SidharthS
Level 2

Can Update Service be used to update data in the client's database?

Hi,

I want to develop an installer for my software. The requirements for my software installation are:
1. Copy the source code files on the client’s machine
2. Configure a particular folder (in my source code files) as a virtual directory in the IIS.
3. Configure XML files according to the input provided by the user during the installation.
4. Restore a Database Backup on the SQL Server 200 and after restoring run a few SQL Scripts on the same.
5. Most Important I want to update the data in the client’s database (SQL Server 2000) as a part of my software upgrades that too over the Internet.

I wanted to know that using the Update service can I do the activity mentioned in point 5 and which version of the Install Shield would be required for developing the installer and the updates for the same later "Install Shield Professional Edition" or "Install Shield Premier Edition".

I would really appreciate if robert you could look into my problem and suggest.

Thanks,
Sidharth
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KellyF
Level 9

Well, you can use the Update Service regardless of which installer tool you choose.... the InstallShield IDEs just happen to make it more simple to include the service with your installation. You'll probably want to post your setup-related question to the InstallShield 11 community, or check with a product consultant if you choose Macrovision installer technology....

In terms of updating the database, the Update Service can handle it. However, please be aware that the update service will grab your update and execute it on the local machine, be it server or desktop. So it's really for your update package to know how to connect to the MSSQL server & run the SQL script. In short, the Update Service will ensure that your update is sent to the proper client machines and executed, but it's still your update package which defines what you want to happen.

Just my $.02....

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos