cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBedard
Level 4

AppUpdate always show only one of my update?

Hi,
In the help file I have for the Update Service product, I see the following explanation for the AppUpdate() method:

AppUpdate is the recommended Windows API to use when checking for updates.

From a menu option, it checks for an Internet connection. If available, it displays any available updates.
From an application start-up, it checks for an Internet connection. If available, it does daily checks for critical updates and scheduled checks for optional updates.

So I have coded an AppUpddate(Product ID, AppMenu) call in my application.
I was expecting to get a list of updates that would give the end user the option to choose the update he/she wants, and then click on an Install Button.

But my problem is that I do not get a list of updates. Instead, it automatically starts the installation of the first available update the agent found (wether there is one or more updates available).

Would you know what I do wrong? How can I get the list of available updates showing?

thanks for your help!
Patrick
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

I'm assuming that what you see looks like a Wizard interface? If so, log into the publisher website and go to the Updates section and click on "End user UI options". Inside this screen, you can change from wizard interface to Web UI (which will present a web page to your end user).

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
PBedard
Level 4

You're right, I see the wizard interface. I know I can change the End user UI option for the "Web UI", but that's not what I want.

I would prefer to see the window that is showing up when there are updates available after I clicked the "Check for updates" button in the Update Service Manager... is it possible to get this window?

thanks for your help!
Patrick
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

I believe that the web UI is what you'd see from the Update Manager (or perhaps I'm just tired...) Please try changing it to that and giving your update check a whirl... I'd check on my box, but I'm running a development build and cannot switch over for the foreseeable future...

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
PBedard
Level 4

Hi Kelly,

The window I am talking about is the one attached
Is it possible to get this window after a call to AppUpdate ?

I am afraid I can't change the End user UI option (they are currently all set to "wizard") because I have several live updates currently available to my 2,000+ users.. I wouldn't want them to call our help desk because they get directed to the web version of the update manager instead of the wizard version...

thanks again for your valuable help!!

Patrick
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

It's true, a picture is worth a thousand words and now it's a bit more clear... I'm afraid the answer is no... that screenshot you pointed out is the Update Manager UI and is not immediately accessible from the AppUpdate (agent) calls.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos
PBedard
Level 4

Thanks for the quick replay Kelly!
Since I can't use the existing Update Manager, I guess I have no choice but to develop my own now..
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

Forgive me for stepping further down this, but I want to be sure I understand... you can use the Update Manager, but that cannot be invoked in a way as you could with the agent... is that an accurate summary?

Kelly

PS. I do have a hunch that there will be some improvement on the agent UI because it's been something discussed internally, but I'm afraid that I will not be able to give you any sort of timeframe for that.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

One last thing: if you like that Program Manager and want to use it, you could try customising it to show only your specific product at runtime. So that would perhaps give you the interface you desire... see here for details.

Regards,
Kelly

Updt: stupid IE not refreshing the URL... 😞
0 Kudos
PBedard
Level 4

Hi Kelly,
It's not quite acurate. I can not use the update manager (using API calls) because it always starts the installation of the update (if there is one available) instead of displaying a list and giving the user the choice to install the update or not.

Sorry if I confuse you more, English is not my mother tongue...
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

'Tis ok, I've only got experience in 3 languages, and in non-English, I'm very rough... but...

What I was suggesting was something of a hack... it may not be something you'd even want to try...
Rather than calling AppUpdate(), if your code were to do something like shell("c:\\program\\blah\\ISUSPM.exe -custom''") then your code would start up the Update Manager using your product and let the customer see that screen.

Kelly

PS. As I said, it's a bit of a hack... but I have a tendency to try strange things on occasion. :rolleyes:
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

BTW, I'll leave it there. If our current toolset cannot provide you with an adequate solution, my apologies... I hope you'll create the interface you desire.

If possible, please submit some feedback via the website about this so that the decision makers know what could better assist you in the future.

Regards,
Kelly
0 Kudos