cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dprior
Level 2

After Update Service Setup: Tomcat Won't Start Properly

I have completed the installation of update service on a single machine running Windows 2003 Server. The server has three IP's for each of the three web application (publisher, notification server, image server). The deployment guide offers no documentation as to starting Tomcat, so I poked around in the directory structure and discovered the batch file "TomcatStartup.bat" and ran that. A command prompt opened and spewed some java errors for a minute or so bfore ultimately saying that the startup was complete and took 5000ms or so. I did some googling on the Java error and am under the impression the error can occur in normal opperation.

With Tomcat still running I opened a browser to the publisher IP. A Blank page is served up. I tried the notification IP... again, a blank page. I tried the image IP - blank page.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
KellyF
Level 9

Well, the first question I always ask is: did you contact our support folks to help you get set up? (Yes, I think we've got excellent support folks that handle questions)

The next question I have is: as you're using Windows 2003, did you disable IIS from attempting to use port 80 (or did you install Update Service on a different port? ) Another possibility is if you rebooted, the service may already be running as a windows service.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. 🙂 I'll PM you so you can reply as I'll need a bit of info about which version you're installing, etc.

KellyF

PS. With our current version (4.1) there's a Windows service which you would use to start / stop the server found under the Services Control Panel. "Update Service 4.1" was the title I believe.
0 Kudos
KellyF
Level 9

I forgot to add, that if you have not completely disabled IIS, you'll need to take a look at Microsoft KB article # 813368 . IIS 6 will NOT stop listening on port 80 across multiple IPs by simply using Microsoft's IIS control panel.

KellyF
0 Kudos