cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines

Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines

Summary

This article contains steps on how to download and install the latest InstallShield engines for the installation version you are trying to install.

Synopsis

When running into installation issues, it is always recommended that you use the latest InstallShield installation engines. This article contains steps on how to download and install the latest InstallShield engines for the installation version you are trying to install.

Discussion

1. Determine if the installation is compressed or uncompressed.
a. Launch Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E or select Start > Run and type explorer.
b. Browse to the location of the installation files. For example, if the installation is on a CD, browse to the CD-ROM drive.

User-added image

c. Search for the installation file. The typical names for installation files are setup.exe, update.exe, installer.exe, etc.
d.If the installation file is the only file in the directory (a single installation file), continue with the remaining suggestions in Step 1. Otherwise, if there are other files in the same directory as the installation file, continue to Step 2.

When a single installation file is run, it uncompresses the installation files into a temporary location (usually the Temp directory). Use these steps to find the installation in the temporary location:

i. Start the single installation file, but do not continue or cancel the installation dialogs.
ii. Browse to the Temp directory. For further information on how to find the Temp directory, seeClean the Temp Directory.
iii.Search for the installation file. The typical names for installation files are setup.exe, update.exe, installer.exe, etc. The uncompressed installation file should contain other files in the same directory. Continue with step 2.
2. Right-click on the installation file that you are trying to install and select Properties.

3. In the Properties dialog, click on the Version tab.

User-added image

Look at the File Version field to determine the version number of the InstallShield engine you need. Follow the instructions for your version. If you started the installation in Step 1d, cancel it.

If the file version number is 2.0x or less:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine from the machine.
  2. Download IkernelUpdate.exe.
  3. Once downloaded, double-click it. This installs the InstallShield engine for your installation.

If the file version number starts with 6:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\engine from the machine.
  2. Download IkernelUpdate.exe.
  3. Once downloaded, double-click it. This installs the InstallShield engine for your installation.

If the file version number starts with 7:

Check if there is a file with a .msi extension in the same directory as the installation file.

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\7 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript7.zip.
  3. Unzip this file. For more information on unzipping files, see How Do I Unzip a File in Windows XP?or How Do I Use the WinZip Utility in Windows 2000 or Earlier?.
  4. Double-click the IsScript.msi file. This installs the ISScript engine for the version of the setup.

If No:

• If the file version is less the 7.01
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0700 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate700.exe.
    3. Once downloaded, double-click it. This installs the InstallShield engine for this version of the installation.
  • If the file version is greater than or equal to 7.01:
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate701.exe.
    3. Once downloaded, double-click it. This installs the InstallShield engine for this version of the installation.

If the file version number starts with 8:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\8 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript8.zip.
  3. Unzip this file. For more information on unzipping files, see How Do I Unzip a File in Windows XP? or How Do I Use the WinZip Utility in Windows 2000 or Earlier?.
  4. Double-click the IsScript8.msi file. This installs the IsScript engine for this version of the installation.

If the file version number starts with 9:

Check if there is a file with a .msi extension in the same directory as the installation file.

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\9 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript9.zip
  3. Unzip this file. For more information on unzipping files, see How Do I Unzip a File in Windows XP?or How Do I Use the WinZip Utility in Windows 2000 or Earlier?.
  4. Double-click the IsScript.msi file. This installs the IsScript engine for this version of the installation.

If No:

• If the file version is less the 9.01:
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\00 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate900.exe.
  • If the file version is greater than or equal to 9.01:
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\09\01 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate901.exe.

If the file version number starts with 9.5:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\10 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript10.zip
  3. Unzip this file. For more information on unzipping files, see How Do I Unzip a File in Windows XP? or How Do I Use the WinZip Utility in Windows 2000 or Earlier?.
  4. Double-click the IsScript.msi file. This installs the IsScript engine for this version of the installation.

If the file version number starts with 10:

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\10 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript10.zip

If No:

• If the file version is less the 10.1 :
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\10\00 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate1000.exe.
  • If the file version is greater than or equal to 10.1 :
    1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\10\01 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate1001.exe.

If the file version number starts with 10.5:

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript1050.zip.

If No:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\10\50 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate1050.exe.

If the file version number starts with 11:

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript11.zip.

If No:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\11\00 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate1100.exe.

If the file version number starts with 11.5:

If Yes:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150 from the machine.
  2. Download ISScript1150.zip.

If No:

1. Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\11\50 from the machine.
    2. Download InstallShieldEngineUpdate1150.exe.

Labels (1)
Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎Oct 01, 2007 10:23 AM
Updated by: