cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steynje
Level 2

x86/x64 Detection

Hi Guys,

I need to distribute my application for x86 and x64 platforms. I have both projects build and ready for deployment, however, I need the installation wizard to install the correct one according to the end-users platform (if the user is using a x86 OS, it should detect it and install the 32-bit edition, and likewise with the 64-bit edition). How do I get the installer to detect this?

I am using InstallShield 2009 Premier.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

With the release of InstallShield 2012, I'll have to recommend the new Suite Project for handling this; it will let you create an awesome new bootstrap that can choose between your 32-bit and 64-bit MSI packages.

If upgrading is not an option for you, you can still create a bootstrapper in IntallScript which can similarly launch the appropriate Basic MSI project. It's more effort and more overhead, but it can work well.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Do you have any example for this?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Not exactly, but here are the core steps:
[LIST=1]
  • Create a new suite project
  • Add your 32-bit .msi file (with any files you need, create the feature, etc.)
  • Add your 64-bit .msi file (with any files you need)
  • Change the Eligibility Condition on the 32-bit package to require Platform Architecture: x86
  • Change the Eligibility Condition on the 64-bit package to require Platform Architecture: x64

The eligibility conditions should look like this when you're done:
    All
    + Platform Architecture: x86 (or x64 for the other package)
    \ Any
    + MSI Package ProductCode: *; PackageCode: *
    \ None
    \ MSI Package ProductCode: *; ProductVersion: *; Compare: GreaterThan
  • 0 Kudos