cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
payaldesai
Level 3

what to set in "LaunchCondition" for windows XP SP2 config check

Hi,
Using IS 2008 to build and generate .msi for client application.

I would like to know how to give condition in DirectEditor -> Launchcondition OR Execute Sequence -> LaunchConditions so that when user clicks on .msi to install, it gives the error popup message: "windows xp service pack2 is required" if SP2 is not installed on windows XP.

If I enable condition, it should not popup when user installs the same on Windows VISTA.

can anybody suggest how to define this condition?

Regards and Many thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Barbara
Level 7

Search in the MSI help for
"Operating System Property Values". You will get a list of operating system properties and the values they have on different operating systems. With this informations you can build your conditions. E.g. VersionNT = 501 AND ServicePackLevel = 2 will indicate WindowsXP SP2.

Barbara
0 Kudos
payaldesai
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.
To support the installation on windows XP and VISTA systems, I set the condition as follows under LaunchCondition table:

"Installed Or (((VersionNT = 500) And (ServicePackLevel > 1)) Or (VersionNT = 600))" (without quotes)

Description: This product requires windows XP service pack level 2.

However, even after uninstalling SP2 from my XP machine, installer goes fine without any error popup 😞

Can anybody correct me where I am wrong?
Thanks a lot in advance!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Based on your logic, you're testing for Windows 2000 SP2 or later. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370556(VS.85).aspx

The only way that condition would ever be true on a Windows XP machine is if you had the product already on the machine. Have you validated the Installed value in a log file?

For more information on creating an MSI log file, please reference this article:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q104807
0 Kudos