cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rogdawg
Level 4

user specific start menu shortcut

How can I specify that the Start Menu shortcut only be available to the user that installed my product.

I am specifically trying to target the Vista operating system. My program installs some files to the Program Files directory, but many other files are installed to user-specific directories. So, I do not want a shortcut to the application to appear in anyone's Start menu, other than the user that installed the application.

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

MORE INFORMATION
I have the ALLUSERS property set like this:
ALLUSERS=""(Per -user installation)

On a Vista machine, the shortcut appears in the Start Menu of the user who installed the application. It also appears in the Start menu of the administrator. It does no appear as a shortcut in the start menu of a normal user, other than the one that installed it but, any other user can easily navigate to it by going to All Programs.

Is there a way to prevent the name of my application from appearing the the "All Programs" list?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

It sounds as if you've seen the help topic "Per-User vs. Per-Machine Installations" and searched for "ALLUSERS Vista" in the MSI help; if you create an MSI log file, is there any more information about property values and such that indicate why the shortcut is going where it is?
0 Kudos
rogdawg
Level 4

Thanks for responding to my question.

I enabled logging and created a new install. After I installed it on my Vista test machine, I checked the log files that were created in the Windows\Temp directory.

I can't see anything that seems to deal with short cuts or the start menu in any way. Two log files were created. One has quite a few lines of code similar to this:
10:06:11_536 : DEBUG: package_1_for_KB905866 is not a language type package

there are 30 or more lines such as this. The only difference bewtween each is the number of the Knowledge Base package. I don't think these have anything to do with what we are discussing but, that is the only remarkable feature of the log file that I can see.

I will keep searching for ways to improve this. The more I look at it, the more I realize that there are other things I could be doing differently with this installation.

Thanks again for your response
0 Kudos