cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casmala
Level 3

upgrades for multiple instances

I'm have to create an installer with support for multiple instances, which would allow upgrades. Let's say this first installer is version AAA.

If I try and set up Major upgrades for future installers (let's say version BBB), when I run the BBB setup, it will automatically remove the last instance of AAA, leaving all other instances intact. Is there a way to control which instances are affected here?

If I try and set up a Minor upgrade - which could also do the updating I need - i have the possibility to upgrade the base instance of AAA. All other instances can only be controlled by the AAA installer. The best situation that I could dream of would be that BBB could update any instance of AAA. Is that possible? How?

Also, it's not undocumented anywhere how the product codes for the instances (which are supposed to be all different) should be set up for Minor upgrades. Is there a reference for this?

I've looking around the threads for something similar to my problem, but couldn't find any relevant information.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

If I try and set up Major upgrades for future installers (let's say version BBB), when I run the BBB setup, it will automatically remove the last instance of AAA, leaving all other instances intact. Is there a way to control which instances are affected here?

The Instance Selection dialog currently does not have the ability to display installed instances that major upgrades are attempting to upgrade. I submitted the work order #IOC-000077274 so that we will take into consideration for a future release. At this time, you can apply the major upgrade to a specific instance using the setup.exe command line as follows:

setup.exe -instance=2

If I try and set up a Minor upgrade - which could also do the updating I need - i have the possibility to upgrade the base instance of AAA. All other instances can only be controlled by the AAA installer. The best situation that I could dream of would be that BBB could update any instance of AAA. Is that possible? How?

Please make sure that the product code of each instance is identical between the package AAA and BBB.

Thank you for reporting this.
0 Kudos
casmala
Level 3

Thanks for the reply 🙂
Ok, I would go for the Minor upgrades, but I cannot avoid the error 1316, which apparently has no solution up-to-now (see Q107390: ERRDOC: Windows Installer Error 1316). :confused:

Is there a way to get this multiple instances functionality working?

Thanks, C.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I tested multiple instance minor upgrades with a very simple project using InstallShield 2009, but the error 1316 did not occur. You need to figure out why you are getting the runtime error in order to resolve the issue.
0 Kudos
casmala
Level 3

that's exactly the point, i did try to investigate the error, and it reports a missing file which, as far as i can tell, it IS where it's supposed to be (I'm saying 'as far as i can tell' because the error message truncates the path, so i never really have the exact information).

The error reports a missing msi file, and, as i mentioned before, this is reported as not solved / not solvable (Q107390: ERRDOC: Windows Installer Error 1316) --> workaround is to manually uninstall the instance and then install the new version... 😞
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Could you create a Windows Installer verbose log for the installation, and post it here?
0 Kudos
casmala
Level 3

ok, i'll try to get the log generated and and post it here
0 Kudos
casmala
Level 3

it seems there's a bit of a problem to post the complete log here (company rules blah blah), so i'll have to read the log carefully and extract the relevant stuff
0 Kudos