cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

upgrade resets all files to be install on demand

I am creating a setup that uses InstallShield 2008. This needs to be able to upgrade the earlier versions of the product (not reinstall) which were installed with InstallShield 11.

However, when I do a minor upgrade it does not upgrade any of the files, but rather sets them to be Install on demand. Since the users of the upgrade will not in our case generally have access to the msi, this is a problem.

A fresh install with the new package does not do this, but rather installs all the files locally, as does the old package. So the upgraded files don't have install on demand already set, nor have they ever had this turned on. Also, both packages have 'Favor local' on at both the Component and the Feature level. I have tried changing the shortcuts advertising to no, but this does not resolve the issue either.

I can not find any documentation on how to stop it doing install on demand on the upgrade, it all seems to be concentrated on setting this feature on the new install, where I have it successfully disabled.

Thanks,
Bruce
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Does the InstallShield upgrade validation process (during the build) give you any more information? Do you have the previous-package setting set up in the release settings? Does an MSI log file tell you anything more?
0 Kudos
Bruce_Wielinga
Level 3

Thank you. I didn't think to add a explicit minor upgrade item, since it only appeared to upgrade from one version, but when I did I get a bunch of errors on the rebuild. So I can move forward tracking these down.
0 Kudos