cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZygoCorp
Level 6

support files not available during repair and uninstall

This is an InstallScript project. I have several files in my project under Support Files > Advanced Files > Disk 1. These are temporary files I need during install/repair/modify/uninstall/etc. They include exes and cab files.

My expectation is that during all executions of my installer, these files would be extracted to a temporary place (SRCDIR) that I could then call/execute as I needed.

Install works great.

Repair and Uninstall cannot find the files. Are they not available during maintenance mode?? Should the files be placed in a different directory like language independent? I do not want the files left around after install.

Also, the support files extract their own files from their cabs and these files are not deleted after the installation process if comeplte. How can I do that, or do I have to require that the exes clean up their own mess?

Thanks

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
If I remove/repair using the single exe, things work fine, and I have proven that the support files in Advanced Files are extracted again and available. HOWEVER, if I remove/repair via Add/Remove programs........FAILURE. I get a message that it can't the support files, and in fact they are no longer in there. Add/Remove programs is looking for the exes, etc in the temporary directory that was created during installation, and the support files are no longer there since after installation the directory was cleaned out.

Would putting these files into Support Files > Language indepenedent solve this? Do I need to actually "install" the files somewhere on the system so I can access them for repair, modify, and remove - and then remember to delete them after uninstall?

SOLVED:
The correct answer is to move the files from Advanced Files to Language Independent Files
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

yes, and instead of using SRCDIR, you have to use SUPPORTDIR in your installscript.
0 Kudos
ZygoCorp
Level 6

yep - did that. thanks. so far seems to be working.
0 Kudos