cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Lim
Level 3

sql script installing error

We have a InstallScrip Project which tries installing some sql scripts to MSSQL 2005 Express. The SQL Express is installed as a pre-requisite prior to our install running.

In most cases, the installation was completed without any errors. But, an error occurred while installing the sql script in some PCs. Since the version of OS and SQL Express was same, it was hard for me to solve the problem. But I solved this problem by changing the sql server name from '(local)\SQLEXPRESS' to 'MyComputerName\SQLEXPRESS'.

We can't understand why this causes a problem.
So, We decided to try testing the sql script in SQL SERVER Management Studio with connections from both '(local)\SQLEXPRESS' and 'MyComputerName\EXPRESS', and there wasn't any errors. :confused:

My question is how I can solve this problem with a '(local)' server name.
Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

By default, InstallShield uses the Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB Provider to connect to Microsoft SQL Server databases. Can you try using Microsoft SQL Server Native Client OLE DB Provider instead by following the steps below, and see if the problem is solved?

[LIST=1]
  • Go to the ISSQLDBMetaData table in the Direct Editor.
  • Find the "MSSQLServer" row.
  • Change the AdoDriverName column from "sqlolddb" to "sqlncli".
  • Change the DsnODBCName column from "{SQL Server}" to "{SQL Native Client}"
  • Rebuild your setup.
  • 0 Kudos
    Mark_Lim
    Level 3

First of all, thank you for your help.

As you said, I've tried changing those columns and rebuilding my project.
    At first, it seemed not to work since a timeout error occured. But after lenthening the sql-timeout from 30sec to 180sec, it worked successfully.

Thanks you again.
    0 Kudos
    wasssup
    Level 2

hidenori wrote:
    By default, InstallShield uses the Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB Provider to connect to Microsoft SQL Server databases. Can you try using Microsoft SQL Server Native Client OLE DB Provider instead by following the steps below, and see if the problem is solved?

[LIST=1]
  • Go to the ISSQLDBMetaData table in the Direct Editor.
  • Find the "MSSQLServer" row.
  • Change the AdoDriverName column from "sqlolddb" to "sqlncli".
  • Change the DsnODBCName column from "{SQL Server}" to "{SQL Native Client}"
  • Rebuild your setup.

• Do you know if this driver will work with SQL Server 2000? Or is this only 2005+?

Thanks.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

Please check out this Microsoft KB article.
    0 Kudos