cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjb8297
Level 6

setup takes a long time to come up

Greetings,

I have created an installer in Installshield2008 and set up the autorun to run setup.exe when the CD is put into the machine. On my machine, which is a pretty beefy machine it can take anything from 2 to 5 mins to start the set up process.

On a Windows Vista machine (and yes, I know Vista is a beast, but still) it can take anything from 5mins and on.

Is this the way I am creating the installer or is it specific to the machines I am testing it under. The installer is a Basic MSI, and the set up file when it is finished is just over a half a gig, but does fit on one CD.

The reason for the size is because I have four flavours of my application, and I have built them all into 1 set up rather than spreading them out. I did it this way because someone on here had recommended to do that, which as it turns out has been a great benefit to us, but I just didn't think it would take as long as it does to start up.

If this is normal, then I won't worry about it, but if there is a better way to speed this up then I am open to suggestions.:)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

Which Media Type did you used for your release build? Do you create a single executable Setup.exe?
0 Kudos
jjb8297
Level 6

Nick Rivers wrote:
Which Media Type did you used for your release build? Do you create a single executable Setup.exe?

I create single setup.exe, I would tell you what Media Type I used, but it is in the middle of rebuilding the exe again and that seems to take about 10 to 15 mins to do.

As soon as it is completed then I can tell you the media type I used.
0 Kudos
jjb8297
Level 6

jjb8297 wrote:
I create single setup.exe, I would tell you what Media Type I used, but it is in the middle of rebuilding the exe again and that seems to take about 10 to 15 mins to do.

As soon as it is completed then I can tell you the media type I used.

Network Image
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

I you want to run it from a CD or DVD I would highly recommend to use a different Media Type (like CD or DVD or Custom) and use 'Compress all files' for example.
0 Kudos
jjb8297
Level 6

Nick Rivers wrote:
I you want to run it from a CD or DVD I would highly recommend to use a different Media Type (like CD or DVD or Custom) and use 'Compress all files' for example.

Tis amazing what a little change here and there can do. Thanks Nick, that help quite a bit in speeding things up. Greatly appreciated.:)
0 Kudos