cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrbilgi
Level 4

setup not returing from Custom Action

Hi,

I have custom action which I am runnnig in deferred execution in system context.
I have few .net assemblies and this installscript registers these assemblies.
This msi registess the file correctly, after the registration it is not returing from the custom action and the installation hangs. It is not even ending when I selected cancle. I am returing ERROR_SUCCESS from CA ( even I tried without any return statement ). Return Processing in the custom action property is set to Synchonous ( check exit code )

Am I doing anything wrong. I don't have roll back custom action.

please advice.

MSI log is having following line

05507: (Unknown): 1: RegisterAssembly :: regasmPath C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe E:\Client_08.07.040\Dlls\UIComponent.dll /codebase /tlb /register /s

05508: (Unknown): 1: RegisterAssembly:: Ends here, returning ERROR_SUCCESS [This is my last line in the script ]

05508: (Unknown): InstallShield 8:58:55: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends
05509: (Unknown): Action 9:12:58: CancelSetup. Dialog created

[This is the last line...I had to kill the setup to terminate the msi]

Thanks....
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
arnoldmoreno
Level 3

Howdy,

have you tried changing the Return Processing to Synchronous (Ignores Exit Code)? I had something similar to your issue but had to change mine to Asynchronous (No wait for completion).

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
rrbilgi
Level 4

Thanks Arnold for the reply.

I didn't try Synchronous (Ignores Exit Code), instead I recreated the custom action, this solved the problem. I didn't make any changes to the InstallScript, just the recreation of the CA worked. I really don't know what went wrong.

Thanks....
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

rrbilgi wrote:
Thanks Arnold for the reply.

I didn't try Synchronous (Ignores Exit Code), instead I recreated the custom action, this solved the problem. I didn't make any changes to the InstallScript, just the recreation of the CA worked. I really don't know what went wrong.

Thanks....

Maybe the entry in the Table "Custom Action" where corrupted or whatelse.. and therefore the CA fails.. however.. deleteing and recreating often helps to cleanup table
0 Kudos