cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reddygopu
Level 2

sEstimatedSize2 registry getting created in Uninstall\{ProductCode} hive

On Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, multiple entries are getting created for cost estimation of MSI.

Under HKLM..\Uninstall\{ProductCode} EstimatedSize entry is created during MSI execution, but after some time i can see another entry getting automatically created sEstimatedSize2, the values indicated in this registry is same as that of EstimatedSize.

The issue is, during uninstall the {ProductCode} hive remains with that sEstimatedSize2 registry.

Anybody have any idea why this is getting created?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
vrnadh
Level 2

I am also facing the same issue. sEstimatedSize2 is created under Guid at uninstall registry.
This has prevented msi to cleanup registry key after uninstallation. Attached image for your reference.
0 Kudos
scottd72
Level 7

I have found that in Windows 10, sometimes when I uninstall our product, it will leave behind the registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, and the only values in it will be (Default) and sEstimatedSize2. The result is that you cannot install the product at this point. I've done some digging into this and found a thread in which someone from Lenovo is claiming this to be an msi bug that was introduced in Windows 10 version 1511 (KB3116278) back in November of 2015. It doesn't appear to me yet that MS is aware of this issue or has any plans to address it. I may need to add a custom action to the end of my setup to check for this registry key and delete it if found.

Update: More information found on this: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/10cb99f9-c751-4298-8e1f-af135d9aafba/sestimatedsize2-registry-getting-created-in-uninstallproductcode-hive?forum=windbg

It seems that if i have an install on my machine more than a few days, at some point something modifies the registry and adds the sEstimatedSize2 entry. Because of this modification the installer does not remove the uninstall registry key.
0 Kudos