cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slomicka
Level 5

"Run as Administrator"

Greetings,

We are moving about 40 installs from Wise to IS. Looking forward to it. In the mean time we have to maintain the old Wise installs. We have encountered a problem whereby the install (an .MSI) will install when run “as an administrator” but not when double clicked. I start a CMD box with “run as Admin…” and run “msiexec /i install.msi” and it works great. I double click install.msi as a user in the local admin group and it fails. It fails on some bs legacy vbscript writing to a local file.

The platform is 2008 Server RC2. What I would like to do is convert the msi to exe’s so the user can “run as administrator”. What I need to do in the install is identify that I am not in “run as admin..” mode. I have read and tested with various of MSIUSEREALADMINDETECTION/Privileged/AdminUser and MsiRunningElevated testing so far has not delivered the above scenario. Any love would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
slomicka
Level 5

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
0 Kudos
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hi,
In the releases view you can set the setup.exe to request/require administrative privileges.

If your VB script is set to immediate running, the custom action will fail it it tries to edit the opertating system because the immediate actions don't have elevated permissions unless you are a builtin administrator or run with elevated privelages.

All change custom actions to the Operating System should be made deferred in system context.

Vijay.
0 Kudos
slomicka
Level 5

Thanks for your reply. These scripts are in Wise. We have purchased IS just not moved the scripts over just yet. Anyway to accompish this in pure MSI code? What table/values do I have to set? The user running the MSI is part of the local admin group and still fails. Only when we "Run As" Admin do we get any love.

The actions that are causing the problems are custom scripts that are in "Execute Immediate". I will move them and test.

I inherited about 40 scripts that are a mess. I would rather just be able to "Run As" Admin until I can get them into IS and thoroughly review them.

Thanks for your reply.....
0 Kudos