cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lysemose
Level 4

".Net Installer Class" execution order

I have a ".Net Installer Class" which has to be executed first.

Is it possible to define the execution order or do I need to create the custom actions myself?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, I'm not sure you can specify the order in which Installer classes are called. For that reason, explicitly calling a managed-code custom action or the like would presumably be required.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

It's possible via a postbuild step that reorders the sequence tables but I really, really, really, really NEVER use Installer class custom actions. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemies. Checkout WiX DTF instead.
0 Kudos
lysemose
Level 4

I ended up creating the custom actions myself by looking in the msi-file how InstallShield does it. I placed the install, commit and rollback CA's immediately before "Service Start" and the uninstall immediately before "msiUnpublishAssemblies". Then it worked 🙂

I have submitted an enhancement request to InstallShield, that it should be possible to specify the order of execution.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Personally I think a better feature request would be to remove Installer class custom actions all together.

You may have gotten it `to work` for today, but Installer class custom actions are fragile and the WILL give you problems one day in the future. I'd bet a pay check on that.

Managed custom actions aren't evil, Installer class custom actions are. Check out DTF.
0 Kudos