cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Webfreek
Level 3

"MSI vs. Setup EXE" and "InstallScript MSI vs Basic MSI"

I am using InstallShield 2010, and am creating projects of the type "InstallScript MSI".

I want to create two types of releases, one that creates just the MSI, and another that creates the EXE (so I can build either). Right now, it only seems to want to build the setup.exe.

I am looking at the setting for my various releases under:
Under Installation Designer -> Medai -> Releases. When I examine the "Setup.exe" tab for one of the release configurations I want to build just the MSI, and look at the "Setup Launcher" row, it says "Yes", and the dropdown offers no other values.

I have a "InstallScript MSI" project file that was worked on by a previous developer. the dropdown for one of the releases defined in that project has "Yes" or "No" available. And I can indeed build the MSI or the setup.exe as long as I used the appropriate defined release.

I noticed that the "Build Installation" in the Project Assistant for the "InstallScript MSI" project does not have an option to build the MSI, but the same screen for the "Basic MSI" does. From that I am wondering if the ability to build only an MSI is denied to "InstallScript MSI" project. If that were the case, then I would have expected to not be able build just an MSI with the project from the previous developer.

Let me know if you need more details. I would appreciate any help you can give.

-Bryan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Webfreek
Level 3

Just an update. On the test project I have created, it looks like that even though I can't select "No" for the "Setup Launcher", it does generate both the setup.exe and the MSI. However, the MSI cannot be run on its own.

I am still confused as to what causes the other InstallScript orject to build just the MSI, and to be able select "Yes" or "No" for that "Setup Launcher" dropdown combo box.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the InstallShield help topic "Using the InstallScript Engine as an External vs. Embedded UI Handler for InstallScript MSI Installations", which describes a setting (Project Properties > InstallScript User Interface Type) for which an InstallScript MSI project may not need setup.exe...
0 Kudos
Webfreek
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
Please see the InstallShield help topic "Using the InstallScript Engine as an External vs. Embedded UI Handler for InstallScript MSI Installations", which describes a setting (Project Properties > InstallScript User Interface Type) for which an InstallScript MSI project may not need setup.exe...

I had google'd various articles about that, but the topic you mentioned spells it out very clearly. I was able to find the project setting to accomplish this finally. This question is now resolved.
0 Kudos