Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mary_v
Level 6

questions regarding admin sequence

hi,

i am actually testing admin installs and have following situation:

Normally a user checks the features, which should be installed - and obviously they are installed (depending on some properties the checkboxes activate)

Now, only "extracting" my installation using an admin install, all features are "extracted" ...

How can i influence this behaviour to only install ("extract") certain features?

(i tried to set Remove in the dialog properties, but nonetheless the installation extracts everything)

mary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

my understanding is that admin installs are complete unpackaging of the installer into an uncompressed format, so all files will be unpacked.

Admin installs do not run any of the registry entries, or custom actions at time of install as far as I know since they are meant to be used as a network image to push out to client machines on the network.
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

... would be bad...

i conditionally install some of the features in the same folders - so the last feature wins?!

No chance to influence this behaviour?

mary
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I think you might be able to do this through careful use of the Directory table. Administrative images follow the source (rather than destination) path component of a Directory table entry. If you use different directory entries, you can vary their source location (and thus where the administrative install places them) without necessarily varying their destination location.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, you should be able to use the Component setting called Source Location to address this kind of file name collision. The InstallShield help library has more information.
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

@michael and robert:

thanks - your hint did the trick!

struggled a bit with subfolders, but now it works.

mary
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

another quick question to admin sequences...

i am sure, i read a post about it, but can't find it anymore:

how can i check that i am in "admin sequence mode" from a custom action - i know the property is ACTION=ADMIN but i can't query it in my ca using MsiGetProperty ...

mary
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps try MsiEvaluateCondition? That's assuming you can't just place the action in the Admin sequence, in which case the action would run only when the user performs an administrative installation...
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

@robert:

thanks for your answer, but for clarity i now duplicated and modified my ca and inserted it in the admin sequence only.

mary
0 Kudos