cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Oscar_
Level 3

problem with minor upgrade and Chained installs

Hi, perhaps this has been answered before, but I can't find it in the forums...

I have a Basic MSI installer project that contains 4 Basic MSI installers as chained installs.
The result installs fine on Windows 7. I can see the 5 applications installed correctly on a clean install.

Now, I have to produce a new version where only some files change (minor upgrade). Some .exe and .dll are newer version now.

The result of installing the main MSI installer on top of the previous install is: Main MSI application gets upgraded. The other 4 (the chained installs) are not even called for install.

This is the interesting part of the log file:
Action 2:31:07: ISChainPackagePrepare.
Action start 2:31:07: ISChainPackagePrepare.
MSI (s) (F0:D0) [02:31:07:465]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI479.tmp, Entrypoint: ISChainPackages
MSI (s) (F0:94) [02:31:07:465]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (F0:94) [02:31:07:481]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 932 (0x3A4).
MSI (s) (F0:64) [02:31:07:559]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (F0:64) [02:31:07:575]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
InstallShield 2:31:07: Skipping chained package Pkg1 installation because it is already installed
InstallShield 2:31:07: Skipping chained package Pkg2 installation because it is already installed
InstallShield 2:31:07: Skipping chained package Pkg3 installation because it is already installed
InstallShield 2:31:07: Skipping chained package Pkg4 installation because it is already installed
Action ended 2:31:07: ISChainPackagePrepare. Return value 1.

I'm using the following Install Conditions in the chained install packages options (similar for all 4, "NewFeature1" is the name of the feature in the Main MSI that contains the merge modules with the files to update...):

Not Installed OR REINSTALL><"NewFeature1"

(following advice in Help file...Chained .MSI Package Settings)

Can anyone help me please?

Oscar
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

This maybe a dumb question but did you change the Product Version of the ones you want Upgraded?
0 Kudos
_Oscar_
Level 3

No, I didn't...

This is the answer I got from Installshield Support:

>Yes, this behavior is expected, as InstallShield does not support Minor Upgrades for a Chained Msi Package. There is an open work-order# IOC-000079413 to implement this feature in next versions of InstallShield.
>I cannot say for sure about when the issue will be addressed. But it looks like that it might be taken into consideration for the next major release of InstallShield.

(I understand Installshield 2012)
0 Kudos