cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rboutilier
Level 4

.msu files as suite packages?

I am attempting to convert all the the prerequisites in my current installer into packages in a new suite project. Some of these (namely Windows installer 4.5 for Vista) are actually packaged as .msu files. I don't see any way of including a .msu file as a package file. Is there a way to do this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

I would look into using ShellExecute.exe to invoke the *.msu file (which will in turn open it up with wusa.exe, a system component):

http://www.optimumx.com/downloads.html#ShellExecute

There's always other similar wrappers out there if you have problems, or even the capability to author your own wrapper as well.

Hope this helps!

--Cary
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The advice above is fine, but I'd probably just specify [SystemFolder]wusa.exe as the target of an exe package containing the .msu file.
0 Kudos
rboutilier
Level 4

Thank you Michael. Your approach did work for me once I played around with it a bit. Since I couldn't add just an .msu file as the only file in a package, I had to add a bogus .exe file, add the adjacent files (the .msu file) and then delete the bogus .exe. I defined the operations as follows:

Target: [SystemFolder]wusa.exe
EXE Command Line: "[ISPREREQDIR]\Windows6.0-KB958655-v2-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart
EXE Silent Command Line: "[ISPREREQDIR]\Windows6.0-KB958655-v2-x86.msu" /quiet /norestart
Exit Behavior: Ask whether to continue the setup
Reboot Request: Prompt, then exit or reboot the machine
Reboot Codes: 3010,8192,1641
0 Kudos