cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

msi file in %TEMP% gets special characters added to its name on Server 2008

When I run my compressed basic msi install created by InstallShield 2009 on a server 2008 machine the msi that gets put into the temp folder gets a special character added to the front of the msi's name. This causes the install to fail as it can't find the required msi.

Any ideas to why this happens? It doesn't occur on previous versions of windows.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

My only guess is that it might be related to the ASCII / UNICODE page support issues in IS2009. I think Mike M had done some research on this and there might be a fix available.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please try applying the hotfixed setup.exe attached in the following thread:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=181783&page=6
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

You were spot on about the cause of the problem. If you install SP1 this problem gets resolved
0 Kudos
Denis_Sage
Level 3

Ray_Portrait wrote:
You were spot on about the cause of the problem. If you install SP1 this problem gets resolved

I got the same issue, but could not resolve it with SP1.. I still get some weird unicode character at the beginning of the extracted msi on Vista Ultimate SP1.

What should I do now? I can deploy the setup as ANSI, but at Installshield Training we were taught unicode should be preferred... also it seems kinda strange that the error didn't go away after installing the IS2009 SP1 Update.
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

The problem is probably with the version of VISTA you are installing on to, my tests were done on the Business Edition.This could still be a bug in InstallShield 2009 or your SP didn't install successfully.

Is there a need for you to support your install in unicode? For example, multiple languages that supports extra characters? If not then I am tempted to say leave your project as ANSI for now; but keep in mind that unicode is the way forward and to change it back once a proper fix is available.

I can't be of much more of use as this fix worked for me, so good luck and please update this thread when you get a solution.
0 Kudos
Denis_Sage
Level 3

There actually isn't much need for us to use unicode, as we're supporting only german, french and italian. We only switched to unicode as it was recommended and I agree that it is the way to go in the future.

For now we will rely on ANSI, as we're near a deadline. After that we'll do a clean Installshield SP1 installation and try again...

Anyway.. thanks for your fast response.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The changes made to setup.exe in IS 2009 SP1 did not completely resolve this issue. Did you try applying the hotfix posted in this thread?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The hotfix changes that Josh referenced are also in the InstallShield 2009 SP2 patch, which was released this afternoon. So, if you haven't tried the hotfix yet, you might want to give the SP2 patch a try. Here's a link to the KB article:
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalID=Q200272
0 Kudos
Denis_Sage
Level 3

I didn't install the hotfix, because I thought that it was included in SP1. Anyway, I'll try SP2 and let you know if it resolves the issue.
0 Kudos
Denis_Sage
Level 3

Just installed successfully with Unicode. SP2 is the solution.
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos