cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carsten711
Level 5

msi caching from Feature Prerequisite

i install a msi with the Feature Prerequisite function from Is2009, this works fine. But if i start a Repair from the installed msi, the system did not found the msi because the msi is not cached for a Repair funktion.
My Question, is there a way to cache the msi, during the Prerequisite installs the msi?
i tried to install the msi with a setup.exe and cache the msi into the DownlodInstallation Folder, but there are Problems if i install a setup.exe with the Feature Prerequisite. Therefore i install the Prerequisite as msi.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What sort of problems do you have launching a setup.exe from a prerequisite? I know of no particular reasons this should fail (although it will limit the kind of progress you can show). That said, it sounds like a reasonable feature request to add support for caching .msi files installed by setup prerequisites. I can file that if you'd like, but of course won't be able to promise any dates or versions when it could be implemented.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

MichaelU wrote:
What sort of problems do you have launching a setup.exe from a prerequisite? I know of no particular reasons this should fail (although it will limit the kind of progress you can show). That said, it sounds like a reasonable feature request to add support for caching .msi files installed by setup prerequisites. I can file that if you'd like, but of course won't be able to promise any dates or versions when it could be implemented.

Caching the FP's MSIs would be nice. I'm currently working around this by building them as EXE's that do their own caching and having the parent installer call the EXE's instead of the MSI.

But I am getting a problem where after the FPs are installed the parent EXE tried to extract the primary MSI a second time and it fails since the directory is already in use. This is with 2012 Spring SP1 and a single Network | fully compressed setup.exe.
0 Kudos