cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gthalie
Level 3

major upgrade with two Installshield versions

I have the following problem concerning an uninstallation after a major upgrade:

- I install a dll with a product X
(built with Installshield 11.5)
In the registry the Shareddll counter for the dll = 1

- I do a major upgrade of the product X
(new product version built with Installshield 2009)
In the registry the Shareddll counter = 2

- I uninstall the product
--> the dll already exists
In the registry the Shareddll counter = 1

The shareddll counter explains why the dll isn't removed during the uninstallation. But why this count is egal to 2 after the major upgrade? This problem doens't exist if I use the same installshield version for buid the two major versions. So, it's seem it's a issue between IS 11.5 and IS 2009...

I need to find a solution: I have to do with Installshield 15 a major upgrade of a previous version built with Installshield 11.5. The uninstallation of this new version has to be correct.
Do someone have a solution for this problem of counter?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This could be caused by two separate components (meaning two components with different component codes) installing the same file. The existing component gets a share count, and the new one also gets a share count, resulting in the behavior you are seeing. You may try the following:
- Ensure the component codes of the component(s) containing these file(s) do not change between releases.
- Ensure you are completely uninstalling the old product and then installing the new one (this option in in the Upgrades view under Upgrade Windows Installer Setup).
0 Kudos
gthalie
Level 3

I changed my components GUID, and my major upgrade is fine.
Thanks for your help
0 Kudos