cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belgie
Level 3

location of Windows Installer setup files

I include all relevant Windows Installer redistributables in my project.

For some reason, the Windows Installer setup files are placed in the root of the install folder, along with setup.exe, instead of in the ISSetupPrerequisites folder with SQL Server and .NET Framework files.

I would much prefer all the setup files to be located in the ISSetupPrerequisites folder.

Can I somehow configure the setup process to find the Windows installer setup files in the ISSetupPrerequisites folder?

Thanks
Bill
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you select the windows installer options from the release grid, you'll see the locations you describe. However if you select them from the redistributables grid (find or create prerequisites as necessary), they'll be in the ISSetupPrerequisites folder.
0 Kudos
belgie
Level 3

Hi Michael -
Thanks for your reply.
I think I am already doing as you suggest...
I use the Installation Designer. I clicked on the Redistributables node under "2 Specify Application Data".

I checked Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Client, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express RTM (x86 & x64 WOW), and the Windows Installer 3.1 and 4.5 selections.

In the output folder (Express\SingleImage\DiskImages\DISK1) there is setup.exe, a folder named ISSetupPrerequisites which contains the SQL Server and .NET files, and 8 files named Windows*.exe and Windows*.MSU - I would like these files to also be located in ISSetupPrerequisites folder.

I tried right-clicking the selections in the Redistributables grid, and selecting Extract from Setup.exe for the Build Location, but this didn't seem to make any difference.

I would appreciate any further suggestions.

Thanks
Bill
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I think you need to disable these options in the Releases view. The setup.exe tab offers similar support for installing MSI as prerequisites do, but uses a different mechanism (and a different location for the files).
0 Kudos
belgie
Level 3

I can see these Windows Installer files in the "Setup Files" folder under node 5, "Define Setup Requirements and Actions."

I can also see them in the "Releases" folder under node 6, "Prepare for Release".

However, I can find no way to move the Windows Installer files to a subfolder on Disk1.

Could you please give me some more specific direction? I just don't seem to grasp what you are suggesting.

Thanks!
Bill
0 Kudos
belgie
Level 3

If I just create a subfolder in the DISK1 folder on my hard drive, after IS finishes building, and physically move the files into it before burning onto a CD, will the setup process be able to find them during setup if they are not in their original location in the root?
Thanks
Bill
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm suggesting you turn off that option under 6; it sounds like you have the same redistributables selected already under 2, and these are two different methods. Also as it sounds like you're using the Express edition, there's actually a sibling forum which might be more appropriate for future questions over here.
0 Kudos
belgie
Level 3

How do I turn off that option under 6 (Prepare for Release)?
Thanks for your help!
Bill
0 Kudos