cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkolar
Level 3

installshield 2012 light (with digital signing ) crashes visual studio in windows 8

I have 2 different development environments.
1- Win 8 64 bit RC, Visual Studio 2012 RC, InstallShield Limited Edition 2012
2- Win 7 64 bit, same versions of vis studio and install shield.

I have no issues w/ the install shield project in win 7. the same project in win 8 however causes vis studio to exit every time.

In both cases I run VStudio as administrator (though i doubt that matters)

I have a installshield project in its own solution.
When I go to build the project, by right clicking on the project and choosing build, (configuration manager is set to Single Image, which has signing set to include the setup.exe and msi).
On the very last stage of the build, when it is signing the install msi. visual studio pops up a dialog that states

"Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 has stopped working". It restarts, i reload my project and try again.

interestingly, the last console log message is that the msi was signed successfully. However, the final step which puts the install exe together is not completed.

I saw some posts online about issues with install shield projects in the same solutions as other projects, so i gave it its own solution, but that hasn't resolved the issue.

If I change my Release settings to not sign any of the release files, than everything is fine.. though of course my install will give warnings in win 8 with their digital signing verification. I can also change it to just sign the setup.exe i don't have issues. It is only when i have it include the windows installer package AND the msi or just the msi in the signing that i get the crash.

ideas? is this a known issue? are there any work arounds?

additional info:
I am using a purchased and valid, current certificate. My password settings for the certificate are correct... notably the setup.exe signs fine, it is just the MSI that has issues.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Keerthana
Level 8

Hello,

I am currently working on this issue and shall get back to you with more details on this in a day's time.
0 Kudos
Keerthana
Level 8

Hi,

I am working on this issue and would require you to test the issue using a different administrator user account. I request you to try the same and let me know your observations.

I look forward to hear from you on the same!
0 Kudos
jkolar
Level 3

Keerthana,
as the software and environment is all configured for this particular user account, it would take some time to set that up. Before I do that, can you please let me know why you wish me to test this way?

Additionally, I have already reproduced this error on 2 different machines with 2 different accounts and completely different installs, so I don't know what I would accomplish setting up a different user account on the same host.

Please advise.

thank you
Jennifer
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is a known issue, and is being tracked under IOA-000069270. It was fixed in the InstallShield 2012 Spring release, and will be fixed for the limited edition in an upcoming release that fully supports Visual Studio 2012 and Windows 8.
0 Kudos
jkolar
Level 3

Excellent. Do you have an estimate as to when this release will be available?
I take it the Spring release you are referring to does not apply to the Limited Edition?

Jennifer
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That is correct; the IS 2012 Spring release I refer to was of the Express, Professional, and Premier editions. I don't have a date I can share yet for our next Limited Edition release, but I would expect to see it around the same time as Visual Studio 2012 and Windows 8.
0 Kudos
jkolar
Level 3

ok. thank you for the reply. I look forward to the updated release.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

This issue has been resolved in the final released version of InstallShield 2012 Spring Limited Edition.
0 Kudos