cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janmontano
Level 5

install .net framework 3.0 via custom action

Hi all,

Due to not being able to convert our existing InstallShield version 2.03 project to
InstallShield version 2008 successfully, I opted to go back to versoin 2.03 instead.

Now comes my question, How could I install the .net 3.0 along with the project. I've read that it could be done using a custom action. I only know as much with InstallShield. I'm a newbie.

So far, I've mad a system search for the .net framework 3.0. Not sure if I made it correctly. Then comes the condition builder. I just put a test message there. Now how would I use that systemsearch result via custom action?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jan

Regards,
Jan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
BernardC
Level 4

Hi,

For .NET fw installation you should use a Prerequisite (instead of a custom action). Anyway ,I think you should get issue running runtime fw .NET 3.0 installer (msi) in the same time your (msi) installer is running.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 is available if you download and install following installShield update : InstallShield 2008 MSI .NET Setup Prerequisites. Afterwards you can go in ApplicationData->Redistributables and select appropriate SetUp Prerequisite.

Regards,
Bernard
0 Kudos
akash_bhatia
Level 2

you can reslove this by just invokin the particular CA before FileMove event.

I think that will solve your problems, Let me know if problem persists then

:cool:
0 Kudos
janmontano
Level 5

I'm using version 2.03 now, so I don't think the prereq will work.

However, I don't know also how to code the installscript to invoke dotnetfx redistributable. I have really no idea. I just want to incorporate the installation of .net Framework 3.0 in my project.

From what I read, i just need a dialog yes/no if user wants to install .net framework, then i'll call dotnetfx. But how?

Thanks in advance. 😃
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

InstallShield For Windows Installer 2.03 is ancient and unsupported. Do yourself a favor and upgrade. Also don't expect many IS2008 users to be familiar with ISWI 2.03.
0 Kudos
janmontano
Level 5

Thanks for the reply. I would really want to upgrade to 2008, but I'm encountering errors with the converted project from v2.03. Currently, I'm encountering 2 errors and I posted it in two different threads, Out of Disk Space confusion & upgrade from v2.03.

I'm running out of time and the release date for our project is near. Actually my deadline for the deployment is this week, that's why I opted to stick with the current version (2.03) and just add the enhancement we have which is in .NET. And hoping it will be easier and quicker than upgrading to 2008.

This is also why I keep on posting here in the forum so that experts like you and others would be able to give their suggestions and advice for newbies like me.

I'm very much on the brink of destruction right now.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

It sounds like it's too late right now, but if you ever need some quick consulting services I'm sure I can help you out. It looks like most of your problems are related to Directory table / costing and CA's hitting Directory properties.
0 Kudos