cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMorisseau
Level 5

install hanging on SDLogonUserInformation

We're trying to get a customer upgraded to the latest release of our prodcut. As part of our install, we display the SdLogonUserInformation dialog to capture user credentials to pass through to a service that we are installing--problem is that the install is seizing up and not proceeding. We are supplying a local user id and password, and launched the install on Win7x64 via Run As Administrator

I've already tried validating that the Computer Browser service is running, not sure what else to look at. Please help!!!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DMorisseau
Level 5

Additional information: InstallScript project type; Windows 7 x64 target system
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

User name/password validation can possibly take a while since the validation may have to resolve a domain name into a primary domain controller where the user/password can be validated. This currently involves querying for domains on the network and then resolving a domain into a PDC. On certain versions of Windows (Windows Server 2008 in particular) these requests can take an extended amount of time to complete. In addition, the number of computer browser servers that are on a network that respond to a NetServerEnum request also appears to cause calls to this API to take longer to return. During this time the InstallScript engine will run a message pump which should allow it to keep processing messages, but the thread that runs the dialogs will be blocked waiting for network requests to complete. This can take up to several minutes depending upon the network/domain environment the setup is running in.
0 Kudos
DMorisseau
Level 5

That I understand, but we're not using a domain user here, we're using a local user. I've also been told that this system is in a Workgroup, not a domain.

How long is too long though? I've seen pauses of a couple of minutes or so on some systeme, but I'm told that they've left it sitting upwards of 10 minutes w/no change in the installer (clicking in the titlebar results in ..Not Responding appearing.
0 Kudos
DMorisseau
Level 5

Any thoughts, anyone??? I've been told to figure out how to fix this problem, but it seems specific to this environment..I haven't seen this behavior on other systems.
0 Kudos