cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelter
Level 10

icons components

Since i want users to be able to turn on and off desktop and start menu shortcuts independently, i have separated icons into different components. I set the component conditions to include DT_ICONS="TRUE" for the desktop icons, and SM_ICONS="TRUE" for the stat menu icons. i set these components transitive bit (Reevaluate condition = Yes), and i set the properties associated with a couple checkboxes to SM_ICONS and DT_ICONS and their values set to TRUE. I can see in the log that these values are getting set and cleared as i check and uncheck the checkboxes, yet the state of these components doesn't get modified during a modify operation.

WHY!

Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Kelter
Level 10

During the initial installation, the installation of the shortcuts depends on the states of those checkboxes, but on a modify operation, changing the checkboxes doesn't affect anything. On a repair, however, this works just fine.

So obviously the takeaway is that conditions of transitive components are only reevaluated when their features are being REINSTALLed.

What's the best way around this?

The two ideas that i'm thinking of are (1) always set REINSTALL to include a list of the names of features that contain shortcut components, or (2) gather all of the shortcut components into a single feature, always set REINSTALL toi include this feature, and add to the conditions on each one of these components a term that will make sure it's only installed if it's associated component is installed...this is faulty because component conditions can't depend on the states or actions of other components.
0 Kudos